So, winter is coming and… haha, I mean, fall is coming. Hopefully winter will be far behind it. Anyways, it’s that wonderful season to pull out your leather (or faux, whichever you prefer) boots and your sweaters or even better, head out and start shopping for new fall items.
I know that can be pretty overwhelming to head out to stores and figure out what to buy and what’s in style this season. Some salespeople are great help but I have several clients who are worried they are going to be talked into some ridiculous fad that the salesperson insists they must own.
So, how do you navigate the stores and buy some pieces that you truly need? Here’s my plan to stay on target (and budget) this fall season:
1. Since you are already reading my blog, I’m going to tell you to read more blogs for inspiration. Canadian Fashionista is one I just found and We Wore What has lots of mens-wear-inspired and designer pieces.
2. Rip pictures out of magazines and create a little pinterest board for yourself.
3. Write a list, which sounds totally boring but I am desperate for a black tube skirt exactly like the 424 Fifth one in orange that I bought at Hudson’s Bay this summer. And if I don’t write a list I’m going to get totally derailed by something else beautiful and will forget.
4. Pre-shop on e-railers. I have had excellent experiences with Hudson’s Bay, Gap, Banana Republic, Joe Fresh and American Apparel . And all have free returns in store if you don’t like what you bought.
5. Head out to see what your local retailers are carrying. You are more likely to have original pieces and supporting local business is always good. Style Bar, Out of the Blue, Para Mix and October always have unique pieces and have great atmosphere with an easy, no-pressure sales team.
Here’s my list of things I need for this fall:
And here’s some things I would love to buy if I had a million dollars:
You probably noticed there’s a lot of black. Well my friends, black is the new black. You know how much I love colour and I will be sure to let you know if any colour emerges this season. So far tho, black on black, with black.
Still having trouble with this “shopping thing?” Gimme a shout at email@example.com – I would love to give you a hand to figure out your own style for Fall 2014.
What are some of your favourite fashion blogs? I would love to hear, especially Canadian ones. Happy Shopping!